Hold the Beef has moved!

You should be automatically redirected.

If not, please visit http://www.holdthebeef.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

I roo the day..


Today's lunch - reheated roo pizza left over from last night's dinner. It was my first pizza making experience in my new house, and the dodgy oven turned itself off half way through the first pizza. Luckily there was enough heat in the oven to keep the pizza nicely cooking away, but it was annoying nonetheless, and meant a long wait for pizza number two (which we really didn't need but managed to eat some of anyway).

The pizza dough was made in my trust breadmaker using Pizza & Focaccia mix from All About Bread. Other alternatives are this Semolina pizza dough or this basic pizza dough. When making mine completely from scratch I like to use half white flour and half wholemeal flour. Making pizza dough from scratch really isn't that difficult but it is nice to have the breadmaker do it all for me, including finding somewhere nice and warm to let the dough rise (in its belly!).

Letting the pizza stone get nice and hot in the oven, I rolled out enough dough for one nice big pizza and spread the tomato base. I used to make my own tomato sauce for the base, but I've been having nice results using Leggo's Pizza Sauce with Garlic, Onion and Herbs. I'm sure pizza purists would scoff at this, but hey, I'm making pizza with kangaroo so I'm not exactly trying to emulate the traditional Italian masters here.

Toppings on these pizzas were bocconcini slices, chopped green capsicum, sliced button mushrooms, sliced red onion, semi dried tomatoes, chopped green olives (just on my half of the pizza... no rogue olives managed to make their way over to the olive-free zone), grape tomatoes and kangaroo! The kangaroo was sliced up to make sure there weren't any big chunks that may not have cooked through enough during the pizza cooking time (about 15 minutes) and put on raw.


We were both so impressed with these pizzas, with the roo being perfectly cooked! It was so tender and juicy, and the pizza based crisped up very nicely on the bottom. I think my pizza stone was possibly the best $13 I ever spent, though I really do need to go buy another one so that I don't need to wait for it to get hot again for pizza number two! I see no point in making only one pizza per pizza session, as the following day is filled with opportunities for pizza eating, particularly when it is a Sunday and you've possibly had a few too many champagnes with pizza number one the previous night.

5 comments:

Simones Kitchen June 28, 2009 at 6:35 PM  

Buying a pizzastone... hmm, that is actually quite a good idea. I like pizza but there are so many bad ones out there and making my own hasn't always been successful.

Jenn @ youknow... that blog? June 29, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

You eat kangaroo? They're so cute... that would make me sad! I guess there are an awful lot of them down there though, and I've heard that they can be a nuisance ;) How does it compare to beef?

Found you via Jungle frog's blog on my blog-hopping adventure today. I'll continue on via another comment on your blog, but I'll be back! Please stop by "my place" if you get a chance.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef June 29, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

Yes, we do have an overpopulation problem in some areas of Australia, so it's actually quite an ecologically sound meat to enjoy!

As for the taste, it is strange that I like it so much as it is kind of similar to beef (which I generally do not like) but more 'gamey'. It depends how old the kangaroo is, as to how gamey it is. It is also one of the leanest meats around (apparently less than 2% fat) which is great for your health but means you have to be careful not to overcook it as it can become quite tough.

If you can get some, you should give it a try! Just promise you won't serve any Fosters beer with it.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef June 29, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

And yes Junglefrog, I can't recommend owning a pizza stone highly enough. The only downside of knowing that you can make top quality, healthy pizzas at home is it can make you quite picky with the quality of pizzas that you can order elsewhere. Oh, and it may lead to an increase in friends dropping around at dinnertime, but I guess that's not all bad.

NikiTheo June 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

Wow, Kangaroo meat. In culinary school, we had an international cuisine course and I swear when we covered Australia, we didn't cover kangaroo meat...
I'm intrigued... I wonder where I can find some...

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP