Hold the Beef has moved!

You should be automatically redirected.

If not, please visit http://www.holdthebeef.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Hot dog! I'm a kreativ weiner!


I was super happy to be nominated by Rilsta of 'My Food Trail' for a Kreativ Blogger Award recently (although if I'm to be perfectly honest, I think I'd rather be a "Creative" Blogger. I can't seem to uncover the reasoning behind the spelling, but I guess we can just be grateful that it's not "Kreativ Blogga"). I only recently discovered Rilsta's blog when I came across one of her articles on WordontheStreet (not while looking for my own articles, I swear) and have been following it ever since. You should check out My Food Trail if you haven't already - she has some great recipes and Melbourne restaurant reviews, and I enjoy her writing style. She also clearly has impecable taste if this nomination is anything to go by.. thanks heaps Rilsta!

(As a side note, I just realised that we have both been blogging for around 3 months, have similar header images on our blogs, and write about similar things. Perhaps we are the same person?)

Now, apparently this nomination isn't entirely a free ride, as you need to adhere to the following rules:

1. You must thank the person who has given you the award.
2. Copy the logo and place it on your blog.
3. Link to the person who has nominated you for the award.
4. Name 7 things about yourself that people might find interesting.
5. Nominate 7 other Kreativ Bloggers.
6. Post links to the 7 blogs you nominate.
7. Leave a comment on the blogs to let them know they have been nominated.

Reading Rilsta's answers to number 4 reveals that in fact we are not the same person, as I love vegetables and I am reasonably confident I was not born in Singapore.

Onto my potentially interesting things...

1. When I left high school I did just over a year of a medical degree before "withdrawing" (so totally different to dropping out). This in no way means I have any useful medical knowledge, so please don't expect me to perform an emergency tracheotomy if the situation calls for it.

2. I'm somewhat of a gym junkie, though I'm not so sure I like this term. My regular early starts to get to gym classes are a bit of a running joke amongst my friends who tend to think I'm a bit crazy. We'll see who's laughing when they need someone to open the jam jar.

3. I was given my very first LEGO toys when I was 26. They are displayed next to my RC daleks and above my Futurama wind-up tin toys. Make of this what you will.

4. I know the pain of years of orthodontic work. As my sister kindly reminded me last night during a family dinner, I used to look like a shark. Too many teeth, none of which seemed to actually be in the right spot. Thanks to modern dentistry and parents willing to fork out the exorbitant associated costs however, I am able to grin toothily without fear of sparking claims of conehead sightings.

5. I worked at McDonald's for around four years, through high school and during my first summer break from uni. I was actually awarded runner-up for best drive-thru presenter (the person who gives you your food at the last window) in Western Australia in 1999, and was presented my award at Adventure World by Basil Zempilas.

6. I have Morton's Toe (known as "coup dé-toe" on Seinfeld) meaning my second toes are longer than my big toes. This is pretty common in my family. I also have pretty big feet and have been laughed at by saleswomen in at least two Asian countries when I asked if they had any shoes in my size. I'd like to say these two foot features combine to give me amazing ninja skills but instead I'll just move on to number 7...

7. I have donated plasma and will be starting to donate platelets soon! This is actually pretty cool because platelets only last for five days, so I will probably be called in regularly to donate for specific people when they are booked in to get cancer treatment (you can donate plasma or platelets every 2-3 weeks or so, as opposed to whole blood donations which you can only do every 12 weeks as you need to replenish your red cell count). The reason why I am mentioning this fact about myself is because maybe hopefully it might remind one of you that you've been meaning to look into donating blood and spur you on to do it. Or maybe you've done it before and, like me, don't actually get around to doing it as often as you would like to. Check out the Red Cross website for more information. It doesn't take very long, is only as painful as a tiny pin prick and they give you a good feed after! It's also a good opportunity to catch up on trashy magazine reading if you haven't been to a doctor's surgery or the hairdresser lately.

(For those of you at UWA, the mobile donor bus will be parked up next to the Arts Building near Riley Oval on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th August from 9:30am to 2:30pm. You can make an appointment by calling 13 14 95 or just rocking up and seeing when they have a timeslot free)

Now, onto my nominations, in alphabetical order:

4 comments:

Panamahat July 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

Oooh, I'm thrilled to be nominated for an award! Um. I hope I can follow the 7 steps needed to claim it. My 7 'creative' bloggers are probably all going to come from the land of infertility though, because that's mainly where I hang out. Still, it's good for the rest of the world to know we're there, I guess. It can get a bit reclusive at times!

So, THANK YOU! and I'll see about steps 2-7 once I've had my nanna nap....

P/S I had no idea you ever worked at Mc Donalds. You kept THAT one quiet!

Rilsta July 23, 2009 at 7:39 AM  

Thanks heaps for the awesome plug! :)

They are interesting facts! Any chance you'll go back into Medicine or has too much time passed?

I have heard that if your second toe is longer than your big toe, your mother will live longer than your father. A few people have proved this to be true! I never thought there was actually a medical term for it!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef July 24, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Panamahat - you're welcome!And what, you mean I never showed you my collection of lapel pins? You never noticed my skills in smiling at idiots and folding paper bags with amazing precision? Just wait until you see my fry bagging skills, it'll rock your socks.

Rilsta - happy to plug!

No chance at all of getting stuck back into medicine! I'm in the process of doing my PhD in environmental engineering right now, so I'll still get to put "Dr" on my credit card ;)..... one day...

Strange about the toe prediction, I guess we'll just have to wait and see?

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 30, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

Congratulations on your award! It's well deserved :D I have Morton's toe too :) And as for shoes in Japan, I have what are considered smallish feet (36.5) but I thought the shoes I saw in a Tokyo Dept store were for kids until I realised they were really small adult women's shoes!

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP