Hold the Beef has moved!

You should be automatically redirected.

If not, please visit http://www.holdthebeef.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Flying high with hunger pangs

I spent the last weekend in Geraldton to celebrate my sister's birthday, and I actually flew there for a change as I picked up some not-too-ridiculously-priced tickets when Skywest was having a sale a couple of months ago. My e-ticket promised me a meal on both my flights, which seems a little silly as it doesn't take much more than an hour to fly between Perth and Geraldton. Despite the possible silliness, I was of course happy that Skywest would be providing me with blog fodder (though I was not convinced it would be much in the way of stomach fodder).

Skywest "dinner" - dodgy chicken salad, white roll, butter, Cadbury Dairy Milk, water and tea/coffee

My suspicions proved to be correct, as the meal for Thursday's evening flight to Geraldton was a pretty dodgy chicken salad, white roll, butter, Cadbury Dairy Milk, water and tea/coffee. The chicken was that soft briney stuff that is commonly found in school tuckshops, and the salad was drowned in a creamy dressing. I ate the tomato and egg white with some of the bread to keep me going, and saved the choccy to nibble on later. I also stole the Fresh food section out of the copy of the West Australian they gave me to read.

I was lucky enough to have my Mum take my order for dinner earlier last week, so after my parents picked me up from the airport we enjoyed one of my favourite childhood dishes - Mum's spaghetti chicken. Oh Mum, why couldn't you be in Perth last week when I was immobile on the couch?

Skywest breakfast - Sultana Bran, Devondale milk, BERRI orange juice and tea/coffee

My flight back to Perth on Monday was due to leave at 8:45am, but due to the crazy storms hitting the coast most of the day it was delayed until 10:00am or so. By the time we actually got up above the weather and they served breakfast, I was hoping for something decent as my stomach was more than ready for some morning tea (I had made sure to actually eat a proper breakfast when I got up, in case the Skywest breakfast was leftover chicken salad). We were given some Sultana Bran, milk, orange juice and tea/coffee. I quite enjoyed the Sultana Bran, having not eaten it for years, but I left the orange juice. Something about mixing milk and juice in my stomach just doesn't seem right, particularly when travelling in a small plane through crazy storms.

I think I'd rather Skywest didn't bother feeding anyone and just make the fares more affordable. All that brine and dressing can't be cheap, after all.

3 comments:

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM  

I love looking at airline meals. I'm not sure why but the idea of seeing all that compartmentalised food always interests me. But yes the option to not have a meal on a 1 hour flight for a reduced rate is a better idea. I'm sure a lot of it went uneaten!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge July 24, 2009 at 12:31 PM  

So YOUR the other person who steals recipes from airline magazine, I thought I was the only one!

Airline food tastes exactly how it look...and thats all I have to say about that.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef July 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM  

Lorraine - Oh yes, I get quite excited about airline food! All those little things to open! And then just when you think it's all over... they come and bring you ice creams! Yay!

Maria - Tee hee, guilty as charged. I also once stole a rocky road brownie recipe (so good!) from a magazine at the gym. I actually tried to search for it online when I got home, but couldn't find it on the magazine website. I was thus FORCED to find that particular magazine again on my next gym session and sneakily steal the recipe to allow my friends the rocky road brownie goodness they deserve.

Sadly the chicken salad tasted exactly how it looked.

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP