Hold the Beef has moved!

You should be automatically redirected.

If not, please visit http://www.holdthebeef.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Dr Swinelove (or how I learned to stop worrying and eat the pig)

Yesterday I moved house for the fifth time in three months. Well, 'moved house' may be a slight overstatement, as I currently only have a car's worth of belongings that I've been dragging around with me. In any case, I am now imposing myself on yet another friend in my homelessly destitute state and figured I should start off proceedings by making a tasty dinner.

Part of my carload of things I have been lugging from house to house includes a freezer bag for my frozen and refrigerated foods, and a large box of pantry foods. Well, I had some some pork loin steaks in my freezer bag loot, some organic soba noodles in my pantry type food, and thus decided to make a nice vegie/noodle stir fry with marinated pork.


Swine Flu Revenge
Serves 4

Marinade:
(these are approximate, sorry, I didn't measure anything - please adjust to taste!)
5 cm fresh ginger, grated
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp crushed dried chilli
2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
Pinch pepper
1 Tb oyster sauce
1 Tb brown sugar
1 Tb sesame oil
2 Tb soy sauce
1 Tb Worchestershire sauce

Stir Fry:
2 carrots,
2 sticks celery
4 spring onions
3-4 garlic shoots
Small red capsicum
Half a brocolli
2 bunches baby bok choy
Good handful of bean sprouts

Finishing sauce:
2 Tb oyster sauce
1 Tb sesame oil
1 Tb soy sauce
1 Tb Worchestershire sauce
2 cm fresh ginger, grated

180g soba noodles (they tend to come in 90g servings in the packet)

3 pork loin steaks (although a nice tenderloin would be better, I think!)

Plan of Attack:
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients together, add the pork and leave to marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour. I did mine in the morning while my porridge was cooking, and it was all ready to go for dinner when I got home from uni.
2. Wash and chop up all your vegetables however you like!
3. Cook the noodles according to the packet, then rinse with cold water. The standard soba noodles you find at Coles/Woolies need cooking for 3 minutes in boiling water.
4. Cook the pork over a medium heat for a few minutes each side until just cooked through. Transfer to plate/board and leave to rest.
5. Stir fry the vegies over medium heat until still crisp (adding the vegies at different times to adjust for different cooking times), then add noodles and finishing sauce and mix through well.
6. Slice your pork into 1-2 cm thick slices, cutting at an angle.
7. Serve sliced pork over stir fry mix, topping with a sprinkling of sesame seeds and some fresh coriander leaves if you have some handy!
8. Chomp. Nom nom nom...

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP