Hold the Beef has moved!

You should be automatically redirected.

If not, please visit http://www.holdthebeef.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Bali Wrap Up (sigh)

So, after our dinner at Warung Eropa we spent a few hours digesting and lounging around before deciding that the night was not yet over and a night time visit to the beach was in order. We drove down to Ku De Ta (where we had enjoyed cocktails on Day 1, and dinner on Day 2), parked the car and headed down to the beach. We walked and talked for a couple of hours, enjoying the magic of the ocean at night and the feeling of sand between our toes. I have blocked out the memories of having to madly dash over sewage streams that we encountered on our way, so I won't be able to elaborate on that. We then had some fun with the camera...

Late night Bali beach shenanigans

As is traditional when staying up late and possibly imbibing a wee dram or two, we then decided that we needed to fill our bellies before contemplating our very last sleep in Bali (for this trip, at least). With limited food options at this hour (as we discovered during what shall be named The McDelivery Incident) we ended up at SoHo in Seminyak, which is a 24 hour diner style restaurant and bar.

SoHo Restaurant

The menu consists of such late night fare as buffalo wings, potato skins, toasted sandwiches and nachos. I noticed that their burger selection offered an Aussie Burger, complete with egg, bacon, cheese and beetroot, but I decided not to choose my meal based on patriotism. Between us we ordered a tuna toasted sandwich, a full breakfast, chicken quesadilla, vegetarian quesadilla and some cheese fries. None of the food was really anything special, but gourmet fare isn't really required at this hour of the night, and these hot, simple dishes really hit the spot.

It made me think back to the big drinking days of my late teens, when I would arrive home in need of something in my belly (if I hadn't already partaken in a "hot dog without the dog" from the hotdog man who always seemed to be lurking around outside bars at that hour of the night, peddling his dubious wares). If I were feeling particularly energetic I would cook some pasta and mix through some pasta sauce and cheese, but sometimes you just need to keep it simple and a packet of Mie Goreng or some Vegemite on toast was just as good.

Tuna toastie, full breakfast, vegetarian quesadilla, cheese fries

With satisfied tummies and happy hearts we each retired to our respective beds to dream our last Bali dreams.

It was a sad moment to wake up on the very last day, realising that we would soon be jetting back to Perth. I tried to console myself with breakfast as best I could.

Bali Day 4 breakfast - bacon, fried chicken, fried rice, sautéed veges and chilli sauce

Pandan crepe with sweet coconut, and a colourful glutinous rice somethingorother

We spent a little time packing our belongings, which somehow managed to spread themselves all over the place, and I sustained myself through this with some treats that had been left in our room the night before. Every day we were given some snacks in our room, and this was the first time that I'd actually tried any of them due to timing and stomach room. This particular snack seemed to be some sort of glutinous rice cake thing, which had a nice sticky texture but tasted a bit bland, and a delicious pandan crepe filled with a sweet coconut mixture. I could happily have had a few more of these. After finishing our packing, we said goodbye to our villa for the last time, bidding a special farewell to our lady of the shower.

Our villa - guess what the first thing I photographed was when we arrived? Hmmm...


Thank you Bali, we love you. I'll be back soon I promise.

P.S. The wedding is TOMORROW! EEK! :D

23 comments:

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) December 10, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

LOL big time at 'our lady of the shower'! I had to do a double-take just then...haha!

Evelyne@Cheap Ethnic Eatz December 10, 2009 at 10:58 PM  

I would like 1 order of padan crepe please

Pam December 11, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

What a fun trip with tasty food. Have fun at the wedding.

NikiTheo December 11, 2009 at 1:42 AM  

Bali looked like tons of fun, and gorgeous! Your day 4 breakfast has me drooling a bit right now...

Tasty Eats At Home December 11, 2009 at 1:47 AM  

That breakfast looks yummy - I could go for fried chicken for breakfast!

Trissa December 11, 2009 at 3:51 AM  

SO sad it had to end so soon! I had a great time reading your bali posts - when is the next trip? (PS that pandan crepe looks amazing!)

Mardi Michels December 11, 2009 at 8:32 AM  

I want that breakfast. Oh and the villa. Send one of each my way will you?

I hope the wedding goes well! May there be drinks and eats and much happiness for the newlyweds!

cheapappetite December 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

The fried rice with fried chicken and bacon looks very delicious. Too bad it was your last meal of this trip. I hope you enjoy the wedding!

Anita December 11, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

The pandan crepe looks very interesting!

Food lover December 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

Hi Conor! Bali sounds like a great holiday; enjoy :)

MaryMoh December 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM  

You are really having the fun of your life. Makes me want to go too. I'm drooling over all the Bali delicacies...miss them a lot.

Anonymous December 11, 2009 at 6:54 PM  

You sure had a great trip in Bali!! Reading all your Bali posts took me to a virtual tour of the beautiful island :)

penny aka jeroxie December 11, 2009 at 9:22 PM  

I miss Bali too. I love the food, the beach and once you get used to it, the people can be really genuine and nice. I want to go back!

Liz @ Breakfast In Perth December 12, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

So jealous!! I loved Ku De Ta... the setting, the beach (and I know those open sewer bits that you are talking about... I freaked out trying to jump over them!). Have a rad time at the wedding!!!

Iron Chef Shellie December 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

Hope the wedding went well!!!
x

A cupcake or two December 14, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

You have some beautiful shots Connor. Thats it I am definately making a trip to Bali for some R&R

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 14, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

I can tell that you had such an amazing holiday! And hehe the first thing I do when I check in is take photos of the room (before I unpack and put my mess everywhere :P )

Conor @ HoldtheBeef December 15, 2009 at 12:24 PM  

mademoiselle délicieuse - lol, I know, how funny is she! Or he?

Evelyne@Cheap Ethnic Eatz - I'd like one too! Let's meet in Bali :)

Pam - thanks! I had a lot of fun :)

NikiTheo - mmmm breakfast is the most important meal of the day, after all!

Tasty Eats At Home - me too, but I think it's a good thing I don't have a chicken frying chef at home every day.

Trissa - thanks! Next Bali trip is for a friend's wedding in July, so I don't have to wait too long :)

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite - sure thing, consider it done! Thank you, it was a beautiful success of a day.

cheapappetite - thank you!

Anita - it was delicious!

Food lover - thanks, it was awesome!

MaryMoh - oh me too, I should have brought a chef back with me :)

Ellie - thanks, that was my hope :)

penny aka jeroxie - yep, totally agree.

The Perth Breakfast Bitch - thanks! Let's not discuss the sewer :s

Iron Chef Shellie - cheers! It was brilliantly wonderful!

A cupcake or two - thanks so much! I fully endorse your decision :D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - I know, it is only a matter of seconds before I have spread my crap everywhere so it really needs to be done first thing!

Daniel@thefoodaddicts.com December 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

That beach jumping picture is awesome!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef December 18, 2009 at 1:22 PM  

Daniel - thanks! It was such a good night. I think I need to get to the beach at night more often. Possibly with a camera. And silly friends.

Anonymous December 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

Damn Conor!! Those pictures of the food in BALI. Gosh gosh gosh. I want to go there right now!

Next stop - Singapore? heee :))

Conor @ HoldtheBeef December 19, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

splattersnconfessions - I know, it was so damn good! At least we're having some warmth now so we don't feel the need to escape for the food and the weather :) Oh yes yes yes I want to go to Singapore, I haven't been outside the airport there!!!

Unknown December 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM  

The pandan crepe is called "dadar gulung", just in case you return and want to have another ones :)

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP