Hold the Beef has moved!

You should be automatically redirected.

If not, please visit http://www.holdthebeef.com and update your bookmarks and RSS feed.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy 101

Are you happy? It's a question that is difficult to answer in one word, unless you are currently in a very polarising situation (just been given a piece of delicious cake, just had your scoop of ice cream plummet from your cone etc). We all have periods in our lives when it is necessary to consciously think of the things that really make us happy and that we should do our best to remember when life is giving us lemons. Think of these things as the rest of the ingredients for lemon meringue pie, if you will.

Luckily for me I have a reason to think of those pie ingredients without having to dodge lemons thanks to Gina from Simply Life. Gina has a great blog going in Simply Life, although I have to fight frustration when reading it as she often writes about new products that she has discovered that aren't available in Australia, and her recipes make me hungry. Gina must know that surprises make me happy, and she surprised me by passing on her Happy 101 Award to me recently. Thank you, Gina!


I'll now share 10 of my personal pie ingredients with you...

1. Enjoying a feast with my family (this Easter is going to be particularly awesome - our usual Good Friday seafood extravaganza and the usual extended family get-together on Easter Sunday PLUS my Nephew's first birthday party on the Saturday!);
2. Having a laugh with my mates, especially on a weekend, when the night is young and fun a-plenty awaits;
3. Enjoying a cold beer on a warm day in the bush or down the beach - bonus points if the stubby has trivia questions under the bottle top and I get a particularly tricky one correct;
4. Finding out that someone I had no idea even knew my blog existed is a regular reader;
5. Hitting a killer tennis shot that I actually did on purpose, especially if I do so by hitting the ball with that sweet spot on the racquet that makes the perfect noise;
6. Waking up in the morning and realising I am on holidays - even better when in a foreign location;
7. Going out for a well deserved breakfast after a punishing gym session;
8. Getting some totally super exciting results after struggling through confusing statistical analyses;
9. Seeing someone's face when they open a present that I totally nailed;
10. Receiving comments on my blog (wasn't going to put this one in case everyone rolled their eyes at the apparent comment fishing, but it's certainly something that makes me super happy so here 'tis!).

Now to finish off this big pile of happy, here are 10 bloggers that make me happy too:
If you click on these links your happiness meter will go up and you might finally beat the happiness top score and get to enter your initials! Actually, I always felt ripped off with this as I have lame initials and never wanted to enter "CON" because that made me think of Con the Fruiterer. It was a happy day when gaming technology improved such that you could enter more than three characters for your name.

Happy day everyone! May your cakes be moist and your socks dry.

30 comments:

Evelyne @ CheapEthnicEatz March 24, 2010 at 9:25 AM  

rolling eyes...101 congrats! hehe (I live for comments too)

OohLookBel March 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

Here's a comment. Hope you're happy :) :) :)

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) March 24, 2010 at 3:00 PM  

Haha, you're too funny and sweet in equal parts! Thank you for the award but thank you also for providing entertaining posts. Esp love your end comment - so befitting after the crazy Perth storms that dry socks indeed should be wished for =)

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella March 24, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

Haha here's another comment you comment fisher! :P

Trissa March 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

Hey, guess what, comments make me happy too! Especially the really sincere ones! And breakfast after a workout as well!

Thanks for the Happy Award - I'll do my best to live up to it! heehee

Karine March 24, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

Ha ah! I love the: Hitting a killer tennis shot that I actually did on purpose, especially if I do so by hitting the ball with that sweet spot on the racquet that makes the perfect noise;So hard to make! But it is indeed very satisfying ;) (I adore tennis too)

As for statistical analyses, I love them. No wonder why I am an Econometrician. However, I don't do many complicated stat analyses at work ;-(

penny aka jeroxie March 24, 2010 at 8:03 PM  

YOu leave the best and funniest comments ever. And thanks that I am in that top 10 list!

Keep the funny comments coming. It makes me very very happy.

hugs!

Anonymous March 24, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

YAY! you totally deserve it since I always get a good laugh when I'm here. I especially agree with number 9, knowing how awesome it feels when you've got a present down! It's like the money/effort was all worth it!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com March 24, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

Great list! I'm in agreement that friends and family top my list of happiness sources. And a good breakfast out makes the whole day brighter! I'm excited to check out these other blogs you've mentioned! Thanks!

Hannah March 25, 2010 at 3:17 AM  

This was so lovely to read :) Sadly,I shall never know the joy of the perfectly-hit-on-purpose tennis shot. Sports and I are not the best of friends!

Cakelaw March 25, 2010 at 6:12 AM  

LOL - congrats on your award, and thanks for the good wishes about my cakes and socks.

Betty @ The Hungry Girl March 25, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

Aww congrats on your award! Yes, nothing beats waking up on holidays! And I love receiving comments too :)

Perth Breakfast Bitch March 25, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

What an awesome blog post Conor! It made me smile! Number 9 on your list is my favourite. I love giving presents for that exact reason!

Jo - SecondHelping March 25, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

What an absolutely delicious big pile of happy!

Here is my most willingly given contribution to comment karma and and big thankyou for the great comments you leave for me.

Enjoy :)

Agnes March 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM  

AWW! I am happy, and even happier after reading this post! Cupcakes, lollipops and rainbow candies all around!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge March 26, 2010 at 10:29 AM  

gotta agree with your number 3!!

nothing wrong with comment fishing!!

Food lover March 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

Hi Conor

your post brought a smile to my face.
Breakfast after morning gym session is the best!

Krissy @ The Food Addicts March 26, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

how cool is that??! that's a fun award to receive!

Mark @ Cafe Campana March 26, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

It's great your blog brings you joy. It certainly makes the effort worth while.

Kitchen Butterfly March 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

6 and 10.....are mine too! Especially just returning from sunny Barbados.............picture and postcard perfect!!!!! May my cakes be soft and moist and my socks on my feet as I head to bed!

Pam March 26, 2010 at 11:41 PM  

Except for losing my wedding rings, I am the happiest I have ever been. Life is good. I love this post, especially number 7.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef March 27, 2010 at 3:19 PM  

Evelyne @ CheapEthnicEatz - careful they don't roll out of your head and down the road! Thank you!

Belle@Ooh, Look - woo! Thanks, I surely am :)

mademoiselle délicieuse - aww thanks so much! :) Yes, definitely, dry un-haily socks please!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella - yay! Much better than an old boot :D

Trissa - how can they not? :) :) you're welcome!

Karine - at least I'm now having lessons and thus hopefully increasing my chances of doing such things! Wow I would love to have some of your brain power, mine is a little resistant to understanding the difficult stats!

penny aka jeroxie - thank you thank you :D SO happy to hear that!

vickys - woo, thanks!! Oh yes, and the hours it may have spent too!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com - thank you, and yes please do!

Hannah - thanks! Ah never say never. Your doctor might end up telling you the best way to strengthen your toe is to take up tennis, and then next thing you know you're winning grand slams. True story.

Cakelaw - thank you! I hope it came true :)

Betty @ The Hungry Girl - thanks!! Ahhh holidays, they seem so far away but at least we have Easter to keep us buoyed in teh meantime :)

Perth Breakfast Bitch - thank you! I think most of the fun of Christmas for me (apart from the food of course) is the amount of Number 9 that goes on :)

Jo - SecondHelping - hooray! Oh wow, I can feel its willingness, and it's totally my pleasure :)

Agnes - Woo!! Rolling around in a pile of cupcakes as we speak :D

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge - the beach part might be done for a few months but the beer and bush parts can continue :)

Food lover - excellent, glad to hear it!

Krissy @ The Food Addicts - pretty damn cool, that's what! :D

Mark @ Cafe Campana - surely does, hope you're having the same :)

Kitchen Butterfly - ooh yes am looking forward to seeing more of the photos, it looks gorgeous!

Pam - so great to hear! Am crossing my fingers you have some unexpected luck with the ring situation. Thank you :)

pierre March 27, 2010 at 6:15 PM  

hi conor
cooking make me happy !! and Spring in Paris too Pierre

Mr. P March 27, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

Thanks for the mention, Conor! That's really sweet. Now I am going to have to wrack my brains to think of 10 things that make me happy. I am a bitter old soul; this will be hard!

Karen | Citrus and Candy March 27, 2010 at 8:29 PM  

Aww thanks so much for the award! You deserve all the comments in the world :P

I get happy too when I get comments hehe (but sad when I don't have time to reply to them all!). And I agree with #3 - beer and beach. Especially in Perth where the beaches are the best (I use to live there).

Thanks again for the shoutout! xx

Rose March 27, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

SHAUN MICALLEF 4 LYFE

Mardi Michels March 27, 2010 at 11:23 PM  

Geez, I had not heard about Con the Fruiterer for YEARS!!!! Memories!!!

I will never think of you as Con (because that's also a bad word in French!!!)

What makes me happy? Lovely friends who send me boxes of Easter treats unexpectedly from far away places!

Devan March 28, 2010 at 1:05 AM  

Hey Conor, your comments always make me happy! They make me smile and give me "sustenance" to blog even more!

Con the Fruiterer - haha, ah brings back the memories. Shows like Hungry Beast and The 7PM Project just don't compare! :P The intials CTF could be a new thing going...or maybe not...

No. 7 - I'm totally hearing ya, and I'm digging it! Engine grease, eggs, and toast - the perfect meal to wolf down after a sweaty slog :)

Iron Chef Shellie March 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

ahhhh I totally agree with NUmber 9. I had that moment just one month ago! =D

Conor @ HoldtheBeef March 31, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

pierre - oh you lucky thing! It is still quite warm here but I'm jealous nonetheless :) Cooking makes me happy too! Let's be happy together, woo!

Mr. P - my pleasure! Ahh, I'm doing my best to get through that hard exterior ;) ... don't make me pull out the macadamia nut cracker!

Karen @ Citrus and Candy - you're welcome! Aw thanks :D Yes, hard to beat a warm evening at the beach after a nice swim, with a barbie on the way!

Rose - oh yeah baby

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite - haha, it's probably for your own good that you haven't thought of him! Oh yay, I'm happy you're happy! I might even also eat some Easter treats on your behalf this evening. I'm nice like that.

Devan - thanks, that's a lovely thing to say! So true, so true, they just don't pack a punch like the good old days, and nothing will ever compare to The Late Show. Ahh, Bargearse, you fat old bastard :)

Iron Chef Shellie - I will never get sick of it! It's so much fun :)

Recent Posts

About Me

My love of cooking is surpassed only by my love of eating, though I never quite recovered from the beef I was served at college. I'll try almost anything once, but it takes a very special piece of offal or beef to get me to try it again.

Read more about me here...

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP